Have you ever considered having students create newspaper stories or articles? Or even full newspapers?
Students will learn to choose descriptive concise language when writing an article.
Keep these in mind:
- Start with a lead which captures the audience
- Give important details and facts (who, what, where, when, why and how) which are necessary components of an article
- Follow up by talking more about the main facts
- Try to remain unbiased
- Write a conclusion which restates the important facts
- Use pictures and captions
The basics of an news article can be taught by having students create bogus stories. One of my favourite examples of a creative writing activity is to have students find a picture and create a headline and article which misleads the reader.
There are several online sites that allow the student to generate an article or newspaper.